29 Nov 2017

29th November 2017 A bit damp underfoot [again.]

*

Wednesday 29th 35F, 2C, calm, grey and suddenly misty. Threat of some sunshine. Enjoyed a proper walk up to the woods and back along the road in thick mist with blue skies overhead. There was a flock of at least one hundred Chaffinches foraging on the fields and in the hedges. A solitary deer dashed off along the forest track as I approached.

I seriously doubt that more than 1-in-4 drivers were using their fog lights. The difference in visibility was dramatic! This is probably just laziness. The outside lights usually come on automatically in Danish cars. But it needs the full lighting to be selected for the fog lights to come on. Very wet underfoot everywhere I went. Wettest autumn in 27 years and I can well believe it.The DMI is a talking about a record wet year going right back to 1874. Though 1999 was still the wettest. That was the year of the 'Storm of the Century' when there was massive damage to houses and conifer forests.

The mist stayed all day without a glimpse of the promised sunshine. No ride today.

Thursday 30th 32-36F, 0+2C, frost on the grass, calm. It was pleasant enough on my walk thanks to the lack of wind. Though huge mounds of sunlit 'mashed potato' were building in the south and west. Before long they were overhead and it started drizzling from a grey overcast. Contractors working on field drainage were enjoying breakfast in their van. A pair of cormorants went over with a heron going the opposite way.

It was full sun again when I left for more distant shops on my trike. Though it didn't take long before it was grey again. I could feel the cold on my face and pressing against my chest despite the layers. The faster I went the more obvious the cold became. Above 20mph it was increasingly unpleasant. I was going well and frequently climbing out of the saddle,

I am catching up on the long shopping list which was out of stock by going further afield. This doesn't always work because out of stock is the stock-in-trade of the Danish [offshore owned] supermarket chain monopolies and child employers.

I'd prosecute supermarkets which list special offers to drag the customers in from afar and then [repeatedly] have no stock. It happens so often it is plain advertising fraud IMO. Unfortunately Denmark doesn't have any consumer protection. Other than what falls off the back of an Eastern European, slave driven, EU lorry. With built-in, compulsory extra smog thanks to a cartel of heavy lorry manufacturers. 

The thick, scooterist's gloves were becoming damp by my final stop. So I changed to GripGrab which are only good for 2 seasons or well above 40F. At 36F they certainly weren't warm enough by a long and chilly couple of miles. Twenty, mostly grey miles.

Click on any image for an enlargement. 
*

No comments:

Post a Comment